“New Year, New Me” is one of the most overused phrases this time of year. Personally, we like who we are but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for improvement or to try something new. We rounded up a list of the best fitness options alternatives to the standard gym in the South Bronx that might inspire you to kick start 2018.
1. CrossFit SoBro: This CrossFit opened in 2013 and was the first CrossFit in the Bronx. If you’re not familiar with CrossFit, it is an intense exercise regimen that involves barbells, kettlebells, jump ropes and other incorporated equipment to push your body and mind to the limit. It is also a community building activity, where members encourage each other to achieve new goals.
2. Bronx Yoga Hub: With several locations throughout the Bronx, this supportive Yoga studio offers classes to all levels. Their classes at the Mitchel Community Center at 210 Alexander Avenue even offers a donation-based community class once a week.
3. SouthBox by Eric Kelly: This is a boxing gym located in the heart of the South Bronx founded by four-time National Amateur Boxing Champion, Eric Kelly. The gym has trainers, guided workout and inspiring music all within a supportive and empowering environment. They offer membership packages, group classes, and individual training.
4. Senshi Okami Martial Arts: This studio offers many classes for kids but they also have adult Judo and kickboxing classes. This Dojo is also actively involved in their community.
5. Van Cortlandt Track Club: While technically not located in the South Bronx, this running club is a fantastic group to get involved in if you want to improve your running or just get started. They welcome recreational and competitive runners alike. They are a supportive community of runners at all levels and post monthly workout schedules/meet times and locations.
What are some ways you stay fit? Comment below.